Nueco cleaning products are designed specifically to remove harmful chemicals from the home, making them safer for asthma sufferers, and better for the environment.
What causes asthma?
Asthma is a common lung condition which affects 5.4 million people in the UK in which your airways narrow and swell and produce extra mucus. This can make breathing difficult and trigger coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath – possibly even death.
Although there is currently no cure, symptoms can generally be controlled through a combination of preventative measures and treatments.
There are a number of potential risk factors associated with developing asthma. These include:
- Being overweight
- Air pollution
- Exposure to certain chemicals
- Under-developed immune system (hygiene hypothesis)
How cleaning products can affect asthma
Most cleaning products contain harmful chemicals and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) that cause lung irritation and are known asthma triggers. These include bleach and ammonia, phosphates, sodium hydroxide, amines, colophony and limonene (used in lemon scent).
“Research published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine reveals that women who clean at home or work are more likely to have asthma and have long-term lung damage.”
There is a growing body of evidence of the damage that household cleaning products pose to our long-term health. Regardless of whether you suffer from asthma or not, the harsh chemicals used in most household cleaning products can cause a range of skin, lung and other respiratory problems, and are toxic.
Even the fragrances which are added, which offer no cleaning value whatsoever, pollute our homes with VOCs.
The Hygiene hypothesis
It has been observed that children growing up in ‘Western’ countries have in increased risk of developing asthma compared to children growing up in ‘developing’ countries, or indeed children from the same country in previous generations.
The hygiene hypothesis is a theory that the increased use of disinfectants within the environment is leading to children not being exposed to a wide variety of bacteria or viruses and this is limiting their immunity. [This is just a hypothesis, not scientific fact]
Asthma friendly cleaning products
Nueco cleaning products are safer for asthma sufferers because they don’t contain any harmful chemicals that can trigger an attack, and they are not biocides – meaning that they do not destroy everything in their wake – therefore potentially avoiding the hygiene hypothesis. They rely instead on the natural cleaning power of enzymes. Our products contain no:
- No Ammonia
- No phosphates
- No sodium hydroxide
- No VOC
- No EDTA
- No SLS
- No SLES
Why is asthma on the increase?
More and more people are suffering from asthma, especially children, and there are several theories as to why this may be:
- Better diagnosis – People are more aware of asthma and mild cases are more likely to be diagnosed now than in the past.
- Air pollution – Particularly in urban areas, poor air pollution – specifically diesel fumes – have been shown to worsen underlying lung conditions, such as asthma.
- hygiene hypothesis – This theory is based on the premise that children in developed countries are not exposed to enough bacteria and viruses during their formative years, due to increased use of biocides and disinfectants within their environment. People who have more infections and different beneficial microbes appear to be less likely to develop asthma, allergies and autoimmune diseases, suggesting that there is something different about their immune system.
Not only are our cleaning products safer for your home, they’re also better for the environment. Why not try some of our cleaning refills and also reduce plastic waste.